Skip to main content

Are you married to someone who owes past-due child support? Was your portion of the economic impact payment (“EIP”) mistakenly applied to pay your spouse’s debt? If so, you’re not alone. In mid-September, the IRS will automatically send “catch-up” payments to eligible spouses whose EIP was diverted to pay their spouses’ child support obligations.

According to the IRS, spouses who already filed “Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation” with their federal income tax return will automatically get their EIP portion in mid-September. If your EIP was diverted for child support, but you didn’t file this form with your tax return, you’re still in luck. You don’t need to file the form, and the IRS will be sending your EIP portion automatically at a later date.

In the meantime, remember:

  • You don’t need to do anything to get your money. The IRS will begin making direct deposits and mailing payments starting in mid-September.
  • The IRS won’t contact you about your payment. If someone does, it could be scam. Get the FTC’s latest information about Coronavirus scams at
  • To check the status of your payment, always start with the official IRS website at
Search Terms

It is your choice whether to submit a comment. If you do, you must create a user name, or we will not post your comment. The Federal Trade Commission Act authorizes this information collection for purposes of managing online comments. Comments and user names are part of the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) public records system, and user names also are part of the FTC’s computer user records system. We may routinely use these records as described in the FTC’s Privacy Act system notices. For more information on how the FTC handles information that we collect, please read our privacy policy.

The purpose of this blog and its comments section is to inform readers about Federal Trade Commission activity, and share information to help them avoid, report, and recover from fraud, scams, and bad business practices. Your thoughts, ideas, and concerns are welcome, and we encourage comments. But keep in mind, this is a moderated blog. We review all comments before they are posted, and we won’t post comments that don’t comply with our commenting policy. We expect commenters to treat each other and the blog writers with respect.

  • We won’t post off-topic comments, repeated identical comments, or comments that include sales pitches or promotions.
  • We won’t post comments that include vulgar messages, personal attacks by name, or offensive terms that target specific people or groups.
  • We won’t post threats, defamatory statements, or suggestions or encouragement of illegal activity.
  • We won’t post comments that include personal information, like Social Security numbers, account numbers, home addresses, and email addresses. To file a detailed report about a scam, go to

We don't edit comments to remove objectionable content, so please ensure that your comment contains none of the above. The comments posted on this blog become part of the public domain. To protect your privacy and the privacy of other people, please do not include personal information. Opinions in comments that appear in this blog belong to the individuals who expressed them. They do not belong to or represent views of the Federal Trade Commission.

September 03, 2020
If I have minor children but my Impact Payment was taken to be applied to disputed child support arrears in which the collection state (where I live) has refused to collect on because of the errors from the issuing state (child support origination order state), then how can I prevent this as that child support order is for a deceased adult as I have minor children to support and the minor children's mother is entitled?
September 03, 2020
This is GREAT NEWS! I sure can use the extra money about now!