Skip to main content

If you’re looking for immigration help, you might run across what look like government websites – but are actually from companies pretending to be part of the U.S. government. The FTC’s recent settlement  has some lessons on how to protect yourself.  


What’s the settlement about? Forms Direct, Inc., also known as American Immigration Center, set up websites that looked like official U.S. government sites. They had names like “” and “,” used titles like “U.S. Immigration,” and showed pictures of American flags, the U.S. Capitol or the Statue of Liberty. The company’s search engine ads showed the name of the government’s immigration agency, “USCIS.” For fees of $120 to $300, it said, you could use its sites to file green card renewals, citizenship applications, or other immigration forms. 


But these were not government websites. Fees went directly to the company. Plus, you still had to pay the government filing fees – and, sometimes, you even had to file the forms yourself.  


Thanks to the FTC’s settlement, the company now has to say clearly that it’s not affiliated with the federal government. Plus, it must explain that you’ll still need to file your forms with the government – as well as pay any applicable fees. And that’s not all: under the settlement, the company will pay $2.2 million, which will go back to consumers. 


How you can you avoid scams targeting immigrants? Here are a few things to keep in mind:


• Recognize real U.S. government websites. If the site’s address ends, it’s from the U.S. government.   

• Never pay for blank government forms. You can get free immigration forms at or by calling USCIS at 1-800-870-3676. There may be filing fees, but the forms themselves are free.

• Don’t use a notario público for legal advice. In the U.S., notaries are not lawyers and are not allowed to give you legal advice. To find a free or low-cost immigration lawyer, check out this state-by-state list from the U.S. Department of Justice.


For more information, visit And if you’ve spotted a scam, report it to the FTC or the Attorney General in your state.

It is your choice whether to submit a comment. If you do, you must create a user name, or we will not post your comment. The Federal Trade Commission Act authorizes this information collection for purposes of managing online comments. Comments and user names are part of the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) public records system, and user names also are part of the FTC’s computer user records system. We may routinely use these records as described in the FTC’s Privacy Act system notices. For more information on how the FTC handles information that we collect, please read our privacy policy.

The purpose of this blog and its comments section is to inform readers about Federal Trade Commission activity, and share information to help them avoid, report, and recover from fraud, scams, and bad business practices. Your thoughts, ideas, and concerns are welcome, and we encourage comments. But keep in mind, this is a moderated blog. We review all comments before they are posted, and we won’t post comments that don’t comply with our commenting policy. We expect commenters to treat each other and the blog writers with respect.

  • We won’t post off-topic comments, repeated identical comments, or comments that include sales pitches or promotions.
  • We won’t post comments that include vulgar messages, personal attacks by name, or offensive terms that target specific people or groups.
  • We won’t post threats, defamatory statements, or suggestions or encouragement of illegal activity.
  • We won’t post comments that include personal information, like Social Security numbers, account numbers, home addresses, and email addresses. To file a detailed report about a scam, go to

We don't edit comments to remove objectionable content, so please ensure that your comment contains none of the above. The comments posted on this blog become part of the public domain. To protect your privacy and the privacy of other people, please do not include personal information. Opinions in comments that appear in this blog belong to the individuals who expressed them. They do not belong to or represent views of the Federal Trade Commission.

October 16, 2018
I'm getting alot of that my emails are getting blocked can you send me a true link or email so I can send some info to to law adiding FbI. THIS TOWN IS CORRUPT BIG TIME.
October 18, 2018
Thank you for alerting us to this information.
Immigration Help
May 06, 2019
Thanks for posting this content. The content is really very informative as well as well written. Keep updating these information regularly.
August 15, 2019
Thanks for informtion