With the reopening of the federal government program to order no-cost COVID-19 tests, there are more options to get free tests this year. But how do you know what’s legit and what’s a scam? Read on.
To steer clear of scams, know that there are four ways to get FREE at-home tests:
- Visit COVID.gov/tests to order four free rapid tests per residential household. Or call 1-800-232-0233 (TTY 1-888-720-7489) to order. The Postal Service will start shipping them during the week of December 19, 2022.
- Get free tests through your health insurance plan. Contact your provider to find an in-network pharmacy where you can get up to eight at-home COVID-19 tests per month. They’ll either be free on the spot or you’ll get fully reimbursed once you submit a claim to your insurance plan.
- Get free tests through Medicare. Medicare beneficiaries can receive 8 free tests a month at participating pharmacies. Find a partial list of pharmacies participating in the Medicare COVID-19 Over-the-Counter tests initiative.
- Check community testing sites, libraries, food banks, and schools in your area to see if they’re handing out rapid tests.
Remember: At COVID.gov/tests, there are no shipping costs, and no need to give a credit card number or anything but your home address. (You’ll have the option to share your email if you want updates.) And, as you take stock of what tests you have and what you might need, check to see if the expiration dates of your COVID-19 tests have been extended before you throw them out.
The purpose of this blog and its comments section is to inform readers about Federal Trade Commission activity, and share information to help them avoid, report, and recover from fraud, scams, and bad business practices. Your thoughts, ideas, and concerns are welcome, and we encourage comments. But keep in mind, this is a moderated blog. We review all comments before they are posted, and we won’t post comments that don’t comply with our commenting policy. We expect commenters to treat each other and the blog writers with respect.
- We won’t post off-topic comments, repeated identical comments, or comments that include sales pitches or promotions.
- We won’t post comments that include vulgar messages, personal attacks by name, or offensive terms that target specific people or groups.
- We won’t post threats, defamatory statements, or suggestions or encouragement of illegal activity.
- We won’t post comments that include personal information, like Social Security numbers, account numbers, home addresses, and email addresses. To file a detailed report about a scam, go to ReportFraud.ftc.gov.
We don't edit comments to remove objectionable content, so please ensure that your comment contains none of the above. The comments posted on this blog become part of the public domain. To protect your privacy and the privacy of other people, please do not include personal information. Opinions in comments that appear in this blog belong to the individuals who expressed them. They do not belong to or represent views of the Federal Trade Commission.
Yes but the vaccine you can go to
Walgreens Labcorp any drugstore that offers getting Covid 4 vaccine.
CAN A COMPANY ORDER THE FREE COVID TESTS?
In reply to CAN A COMPANY ORDER THE FREE… by NANCY HAMILTON
Personal use only.
Thank you very much for all this valuable information. Muchas gracias por toda esta valiosa informacion
There should be a notice to people that even though they got 4 free tests a year ago, they can't get anymore now.
I mind as well be honest. To offer free Covid tests there has to be a catch to actually be eligible to claim free covid tests as I don't trust the government and there free offer!!!!!!
In reply to I mind as well be honest. To… by Dane Filander
You have the right to not get the free tests if you don’t trust them.
Received December tests but they expire (extended expiration date) in mid March 2023, so only good for about 3.5 months from now. Sounds like they are just trying to get rid of old stock.
My entire family came out positive for Covid and I ran out of tests. How can we get some more tests. I have my 88 yr old mother I care for and I don’t want to get her sick. Please send me some more tests please
If you had to use the 4 test and have more that need to be tested at your address what is the procedure to get more! Since this only will cover 4 what happens when more is needed!